Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Dog Days

That's my buddy, Cowboy. He's the only one of our three dogs I can rely upon to keep me warm at night. He waddles over to the bed, puts his forepaws up and waits for me to come over and give his back end a lift onto the bed. Then he rolls around and plops himself down right in the middle so I have to lay one the edge of the mattress. But it's okay. He rolls on me to make himself comfortable, licks himself a few times, tries to give me a kiss, then goes to sleep. He's really a marvel of consistency, reliability, love and really soft fur. I even like the way he smells.

The WIP is in critique right now. Well into the book. I love the feedback I'm getting. Helpful, I think. Much of it reinforcing the things I suspected may not be working, and the rest of it opening my eyes. I thought it would be hard, waiting again, waiting while people publish book after book. Some of my friends have published 10 books in the last year. That's 10 as in ten as in X. So many times I've been tempted to take short cuts. To bypass crits. To bypass that extra round of edits. I'm sure there are authors out there who can go that and still put out work they like. I can't. And the closer I get to the end, the better I feel about it. Not because I like the WIP more, but because I realize that the problems I'm being made aware of are very solvable, and believe it or not, I think I can solve them.

Again, it's a very lonely time. Once I come home, it's all I want to think about. Conversations that aren't about my WIP, or about someone else's WIP seen tedious. I've even got the wife involved. Not in this book, but in the next one. I've got 20K written on that one, and the middle 40 are going to go much faster than the first 20. (Yeah, this one's gonna be a lot shorter than the first. I think I've learned to keep them more focused.) Anyway, the wife brings me lines she hears that amuse her. Lines I can use. I'm no longer too proud to take lines from wherever I can find them. I. like my WIP, am evolving. A writer has no choice but to do that. It is a war of attrition, writing. Fight through it.

1 comment:

  1. I wondered what you were up to, Fred. I do think there's a lot to be learned book on book. I cringe when I read some bits of my early ones. As for funny lines, I'm shameless. I'll take them wherever I find them!

    ReplyDelete