Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Telling the World to Fuck Off

 
We all get input when we're writing our books. We get it from friends and family, and perfect strangers we never met. But a good writer gives equal weight to every word that's said about his work, whether encouraging, or harsh. Ultimately, the decision is ours. Can't blame the friends for not saying the right things in their critiques. Can't blame family for not rooting hard enough. We own the story. We the writers own the story.
 
I've added a new beginning. A 2000 word first chapter just finished that'll make it easier to sequence the parts I already had finished, and it'll add a little spark to the opening. It's a perfect catalyst for events that follow. I'd been keeping it as back story, but the great thing about self-publishing is that I really don't have to worry about word count. yeah, I worked hard to cut 20K words from the WIP, but I don't feel guilty for adding 2K back, because I don't have to convince any agent that the thing will be commercially viable. No agent has to worry about selling my book. That's a wonderfully liberating feeling. I own it. I'll live with the consequences of what happens if the thing is 2K words too long.
 
Probably meaningless to most people, but i think there will be authors out there who know what I'm talking about. 

3 comments:

  1. 2k is nothing, Fred! As I edit mine, it's rare I cut a word, but adding - oh yes, I keep adding and adding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you cut 20K, adding 2K back into the mix, as long as they serve to make the story stronger, sounds like a good trade off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your title sums it up well. Obsessing over word count drains the spark, the little bit of joy of creating a world as if you wrote in an expanding universe instead of a sucking black hole of rules, right out of you. I just can't wait for my copy of whatever the hell number of words pleases the creator.

    ReplyDelete