Friday, March 29, 2013

Debut Book Blues

Nothing says Easter like an engine!

So I'm getting closer to finishing my edits and as I close this thing out, I've come to the realization that it's not the book I set out to write. I guess I'll chalk it up to being a learning experience. It's lacking some of the umph I prefer to read, and that means it's not the book I'd really like to write.

Looking back, I can see how it happened. I thought about re-working some sections and sticking some faster moving scenes in there, but it wouldn't be true to THIS book. It would probably feel forced. So, I'm resigned to finishing this one as it is, and making the next one the way I like it.

I got so caught up in characterization and motive, that I fell short in the zing department. Those kinds of books have a place, especially in the sci-fi genre, but it's not what I wanted. Funny that it took me this long to see it for what it is. I wonder if I was so determined not to make it the popcorn sci-fi, those books with explosion after explosion and chase scene after chase scene, that I went too far in the opposite direction. Oh well, live and learn.

4 comments:

  1. There's always the next book. As long as this one reads well as is, even if it's not what you originally set out to do, then call it good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont care about scene after scene of action, not when the way you twist a sentence is so interesting and fresh. I still remember lines from your settings of Pittsburgh and Cuba, that are just awesome, and that dont repeat elsewhere but emerge the reader in the scene. Hurry and publish already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arlene. I really needed a kind word today.

      Delete
  3. Arlene is right, Fred. You know, you will NEVER be satisfied with what you write. No true writer is. There's always something you could have done differently, better etc. But everything is a learning experience and you look as though you've learned something here. You have a skill for description, for dialogue, for setting. You don't have to have explosions every few pages. I can't believe that you could write something that wasn't fascinating. Get it out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete