Sunday, March 17, 2013

Another drunken post at 1 a.m.

One of my buddies recently took up guitar after having put it down for years. He was talking about the marvel of Jimi Hendrix, and the difficulty of trying to recreate his chords. Writers don't have the luxury of recreating one of the master's works. i guess fanfic is a form of that, but not really. At this point, I'm so far out in the weeds, that I have no fucking clue if my words resemble someone else. They don't need to.

Rock on. Don't worry about what others have done. Play your own tune.

2 comments:

  1. I have issues when submission guidelines ask for "What books does your novel compare to?" If I'd have found someone who wrote what exactly I wanted to read, I wouldn't have wasted my time writing the novel to begin with. I'd have been busy reading.

    Write the story you want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget what others I may emulate, I struggle to have the words form a sentence that resembles the English langauge. Spell check is constantly telling me..."sorry, I've got nothing." Hm, maybe I too need to write in the wee hours while sipping something other than tea.

    ReplyDelete