Sunday, July 22, 2012

Mere Paragraphs from the Climax

There's a giddiness approaching the climax. There's still the Epilogue to do after this chapter, but reaching this point, reaching the "end" I'd set back in 2008 when I started this thing, the end I'd teamed with a beginning and a couple characters, not knowing what the journey there would look like, is unlike anything I've ever felt.

When I was in Rochester working for Diclemente and Volke, one of the owners, Gary, was building a little plane from a kit. I remember thinking how cool that was. How impressive that someone would painstakingly, over the years, piece together a plane. It elevated Gary in my eyes. He didn't spend his free time watching television, in fact, he hardly ever seemed to sit still.

But something bothered me. Any time I'd bring up the plane, Gary would bitch about the process of putting it together. It didn't sound right to me. I thought he was dishing out mock humility. How could anyone doing something so cool bitch about it, right? Man, now I know. The process is brutal. Something that takes years to complete, sets the carrot far, far down the road. It feels like it'll never be done. Well, it's not done yet, but it's zipping now. There won't be another word of complaint from me...Well, maybe once I start editing, but I've been doing a fair amount of editing as I go, so that shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not smart enough to assemble a plane. That's over my head. But reaching the climax of a novel I started 4 years ago, feels rewarding. It's a thrill. So this is what it feels like? Cheers. Fucking, cheers.
I love these little moments of solitude. The little one-man parties.

2 comments:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!! I'm there, in the background, cheering at your one man party because all the time, swearing, sweat and tears can only be understood by fellow authors. I'm so proud of you and cannot wait to soar in the plane you've built out of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Arlene, Fred. It is an awesome feeling when you reach the end. I actually slow down for the last few pages, I don't want to leave the characters to their future without me looking over their shoulder. The only cure - write another book! Will your wife ever speak to you again if you do!

    ReplyDelete