Wednesday, May 9, 2012

This chapter's drinking my blood

No need to feel blue. But I'm getting impatient again. This chapter is the spawn of hell.

When Tom Clancy writes his books, he ends up with about 100 chapters at an average of 1000 words. His novels are written for people with attention deficit disorder. And a LOT of people suffer from that. The chapter I've been working on for the last month is currently sitting around 6500 words. That's a lot for someone to digest, particularly sci-fi fans who tend to be minimalists. I wish I could just say that it's fine the way it is, but I can't. I know I need to trim it, and that means trimming more sections I like. I suppose the good news is that I like the sections.

I joined a new forum a couple nights ago, a sci-fi forum. The guys on there are brutal. Very critical of even the classics like The Foundation Trilogy. I want to scream at them, "Do you know how hard it is to do this shit, fuckwad!" But they have every right to be critical of the books they buy. They paid the money. But there are such vicious arguments that go on there about the genre, what's good and what isn't, that it actually eases my mind somewhat about whatever reviews I'll get some day. If these guys have SUCH differing opinions over classics, some like them, some hate them, then I know getting one star reviews is unavoidable. I mean, these guys are on polar opposites of the spectrum. Hopefully, there will be some sci-fi readers out there who like long chapters.

2 comments:

  1. Fred, I've long since given up trying to figure out what people like. Might as well write what YOU like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6,500 words is a workable chapter. As long as they aren't all that long, I wouldn't sweat it.

    Sometimes a long chapter is needed. I don't like a constant barrage of 1k-2k chapters. I need time to sink into the story and take it all in for goodness sake.

    ReplyDelete