Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Four Chapters into one

I've condensed more than I thought I would. Four chapters down to one, that's got to be some sort of record for me. It was easy. The mind does it all by itself.

The clearer the story becomes in the brain, the more one focuses on the fun parts of the MS. Well, maybe not fun for the general public, but fun for me. So the more I think about the chapters and scenes I like, the less I think about the others, and the less relevant they become. Nothing wrong with them, but they no longer fit the flow of the story. After all, we're talking about scenes written years ago for something that only came into real focus about last summer.

I've moved some of them into the file for part two of the trilogy, and the rest either got nuked or spread like butter to other chapters. Yes, it's a trilogy. It's always been a trilogy, ever since I read Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. It has to happen in three stages. It feels natural. I don't know who the first one was to come up with it, but it just feels right. That's about as long as I'll need to tell the whole of this tale.

Part one just jumped from chapter 18 to chapter 22. That's more than half, and the second half is far more defined than the first. Also, the next few chapters will be condensed into one, so it feels like I'm about 2/3's of the way through.

On a technical note, I try real hard to make sure that none of the chapters is solely focused on one character or the other. Even in the scenes when the protag is almost alone with his love interest, there are other characters involved, and therefore, there are sub plots that intermingle with the main plot. I've noticed that, in the chapters where the protag doesn't come into contact with either his love interest, or the antag, there's a far better chance for the secondary characters to make a statement about who they are, and I'm not sure they're different enough from the protag to make the chapter feel as though it's not about the same person. After all, the whole book is about me. I live in all the characters, male and female. They are simply an extension of my good and evil. I think they're different enough so that I can tell the difference, but I need to make sure the reader can tell the difference, and that might men going back and instilling idiosyncrasies into the secondary characters. At first, I cringed at the thought, but now, I think I'm looking forward to it. I think that two of them need to have the Quasimodo hump. This may be the most fun I've had in a long time.

3 comments:

  1. I love spreading the dissolved chapter bits like butter. That's awesome. :)

    I think my record is three chapters into one. You've got me beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A trilogy? So how long until the third is done!! I don't want to die before I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure we'll both be dead before it's done. I just want to finish the first book and leave the possibility of the trillogy, because I have a tendency to change my mind every five years or so, which is about how long it takes to write just one.

    ReplyDelete