Thursday, January 26, 2012

Confusing and daunting and beautiful, all at the same time

I just re-read chapter one after not having seen it in months. As to the question of whether or not the plot moves along quickly, yes it does. But is it too quickly? I have no idea.

There is no sentence, no word of the manuscript that is frivolous, though some may seem that way at the beginning. each word plays a part. Each phrase sets up future events. Well, maybe not later in the book, but in the first five or six chapters, it's all relevant. Even the stuff hat seems like character building.

The problem is that there are chapters that jump around, and the first chapter is one of them. Someone more concerned with selling might remedy that situation, but this is the chronology I wish to divulge the story in. That puts me in a pickle. if you're in this predicament, my suggestion is, don't worry about it. If you're a good enough writer, a 5000 word opening chapter will set the mood, and that's all that counts. The two or three relative facts you'll eventually reinforce along the way are irrelevant at this point anyway, so don't worry that someone will forget the nickname of your MC's friend.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, don't get me started on first chapters. Too fast, too slow--it's a delicate dance, and there are certainly times I feel I must be oblivious to the music. You're right, don't worry about it. Just write well. :)

    ReplyDelete