Monday, March 28, 2011

Chapter one is complete

The re-arranging and all that sort of buffoonery I'm going through with my current WIP has taken what I consider a major step forward. Chapter one is complete.

I'm receiving far fewer bolts of inspirational lightning from God these days, which means I'm taking fewer notes in my sleep and during my commute to the office, and therefore I'm starting to think the thing is close to completion...other than the re-arranging of all the notes and re-writing the chapters so they're sequentially most satisfying. When something happens in a novel is almost as important as what happens.

The wife bought me a laptop, and it has sped up the process by leaps and bounds. First of all, there's no internet on the laptop, and I have no intention of getting any. It keeps me from wasting time...Of course, it has chess, mahjong, and hearts, so wasted time does occur every now and then, but nothing like before when I'd click to check my e-mails and be off to the races on the internet for hours at a time.

It's funny, after all this time, chapter one still ended up morphing at the end into something I hadn't expected. One of the plot lines, the first hints of the primary plot to be exact, took a larger role than I had planned. For some reason I'd had this irrational urge to clutch to that part like some kind of Cracker Jack box surprise, save the best for later, that sort of thing. In its current form, I kick it right out the plane and let it parachute for the reader to see before he gets to the end of the chapter, and I'm happier for it.

I wonder what I'll learn in revising chapter 2. Chapter 1 took about 3 weeks, but I expect chapter 2 to go a little quicker because it was more complete to begin with. Who knows.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, no internet is a great idea. I'd have to turn my wifi off but sadly I don't know how. Stop playing those games and get on with writing.

    And yes - fascinated by the fact that you decided to let the cat out of the bag early rather than later. Someone once said to me - might have been you - why don't you tell the reader at the start? What is the point of keeping it a secret? To make you- the writer - look clever? Does it NEED to be held back? Well, I thought about it and it didn't. Course - there was then no chapter two!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No chapter two? Ah, good, then it'll save me a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete